What is ProMOTE?
NIB’s Professional Mastery of Office Technology for Employment (ProMOTE) training program provides advanced training to assistive technology users who are blind or have low vision. Starting with the basics of understanding computers and software, ProMOTE’s immersive training model emulates modern offices, mixing formal instruction with time-sensitive project-based work that simulates the rigor and collaboration of the workplace. By the end of the four-week program, ProMOTE graduates have mastered Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, as well as internet research and creating accessible documents.
ProMOTE is designed for students who have intermediate knowledge of the assistive technology they use, but may have learning gaps or need additional training to be competitive in the job market.
Passing score on assessment demonstrating assistive technology, office and window commands
Typing speed of at least 25 wpm
September 16th – October 11th, 2019
* note * sessions consist of online and onsite course work, see below for details.
Session Details and Deadlines:
Each program session will have an online portion and an on-site portion. On-site location is the Tyler Lighthouse at 411 W. Front St, Tyler, TX, 75703. Participants must complete both portions to complete the course.
September 16 – 27 (online) | September 30 – October 11 (on-site)
- Application Deadline: August 5th
- Graduation: October 11th
Training Fee: $4,500 per participant. Travel and accommodations are not included. ETLB has a negotiated hotel rate and will assist in all planning and logistics of travel.
NIB affiliated agencies are encouraged to apply for the Training and Compliance Grant which may cover up to 80% of the cost.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for grant information.
Q. Is this course for various types of Assistive Technology users?
- A. Yes. Speech/JAWS users, magnification users, and even non-AT users are all welcomed to apply so long as they are legally blind and are intermediate level users.
Q. What is the complete application process?
- A. After applications are received, our instructor will reach out to applicants for a two-step assessment. The first step is a self-assessment and the second is a live video/screen share demonstration using the online teleconferencing application Zoom. Our instructor will assist with Zoom if needed. The first 5 applicants with a passing score will be invited to attend.
Q. What comes first, the application for ProMote or the application for the NIB Training and Compliance Grant?
- A. There is no need to complete the NIB Training and Compliance Grant unless accepted into ProMOTE. Grant questions should be directed to Billy Parker at email@example.com.
Q. Can participants choose which Microsoft Office Suites they wish to learn?
- A. No, all participants follow the curriculum as is and will receive training in Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Q. Will participants be MOS certified upon completion?
- A. Successful completion of ProMote earns an NIB certificate but not an MOS certification. Qualified participants are welcome to test for MOS certification while in Tyler as we are an official MOS testing site.
Q. Who handles travel and accommodations?
- A. ETLB has negotiated a discounted rate on behalf of your agency. Agencies will book hotel and transportation to and from Tyler directly. Daily transportation to and from class will be the responsibility of the participants, and can include Uber, Lift, Taxi or a visitor pass for Tyler’s ParaTransit. Accepted applicants will receive additional information needed for planning the trip.
Q. Who do I contact with questions?
- A. Please contact our Client Services Manager, Amy Anderson, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 888-565-3852.